Re: Front spring shims (Re: Positive Camber Problem)

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: Front spring shims (Re: Positive Camber Problem)
From: William Davies <w.davies@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 23:50:54 -0700
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Andrew Mace wrote:

> Also worth noting is that many U.S.-destined Heralds (maybe Spitfires as
> well; I'm not sure at the moment) had such spacers for the LHS front
> spring only, probably to compensate for driver and controls being on the
> LHS of the car (as was the fuel tank on Heralds).

Maybe I can add something to this thread....

I was talking to Dave Gleed at the TSSC International a couple of weeks
ago. Dave is a very well known Triumph based autojumbler in the UK, who
happened to work for Standard Triumph in Coventry. He is a mine of
wonderful undocumented information. He mentioned in passing that these
aluminium spring spacers were arbitrarily fitted to cars whic leaned to
one side or the other. It wasn't fitted to all cars, only those which
didn't sit evenly when they were completed. So now you know....But why
do some cars have them both sides?

                Bill.

    ^================^      This Message sent by:
   /                  \
  /                    \    William Davies
 __ __________________ __   Total Triumph Enthusiast
=====U==============U=====  1959 Herald 948 Coupe
\________________________/  1964 Herald 1200 Saloon
 | |                  | |   1966 Herald 1200 Convertible
 |_|                  |_|   1959 Standard Atlas Pickup