Re: Front spring shims (Re: Positive Camber Problem)

To: William Davies <w.davies@virgin.net>
Subject: Re: Front spring shims (Re: Positive Camber Problem)
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 22:21:11 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
I wrote:

> > Also worth noting is that many U.S.-destined Heralds (maybe Spitfires as
> > well; I'm not sure at the moment) had such spacers for the LHS front
> > spring only, probably to compensate for driver and controls being on the
> > LHS of the car (as was the fuel tank on Heralds).

William Davies added:

> Maybe I can add something to this thread....
>
> I was talking to Dave Gleed at the TSSC International a couple of weeks
> ago. Dave is a very well known Triumph based autojumbler in the UK, who
> happened to work for Standard Triumph in Coventry. He is a mine of
> wonderful undocumented information. He mentioned in passing that these
> aluminium spring spacers were arbitrarily fitted to cars whic leaned to
> one side or the other. It wasn't fitted to all cars, only those which
> didn't sit evenly when they were completed. So now you know....But why
> do some cars have them both sides?

Well, maybe the "official" Workshop Manual can answer all these
questions. From p. 4.103: Spring packings, Part Number 125441 fitted
between upper spring plate and suspension brackets on both sides of
vehicle when equipped with heavy duty springs. Fitted to L.H. steering
vehicles with normal spring on L.H. side only. (Except Heavy Duty
springs, Estate Cars and Courier Van.)

Note: in no way do I doubt Dave Gleed's explanation, either. It makes
very good sense as well.

--Andy

p.s. William, is there a LHS version of your .sig file? :-)