Re: Free advice (& some Technical content)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Free advice (& some Technical content)
From: Bob Sykes <s1500@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 20:37:24 -0700
Triumphal Types,

I must come out from the fringes on this one;

Charlie makes some good points.  IMHO this is not just about
"politeness" or "hurt feelings".  I'm here to help AND learn.
As was stated, when someone offers help/advise,
they buy into the problem.  I often do so "offline" for the same
reasons as Charlie.  Sometimes this involves a trip out the garage
to look at my cars or books.  I don't expect thank-you notes,
but I do appreciate a response letting me know if my SWAG was
correct or off-base.  This enables me to gain something as well
as the person I try to help.  When there is no feedback (or closure)
we (individually & collectively) miss an opportunity to learn.
Some of us then lose the motivation to participate.  There are
limits to altruism.

Sometimes there are multiple answers/approaches to a problem.

ob. TR content:
There is some discussion (& disagreement) on blowing fuses, corrosion,
resistance etc.  It appears to me that everyone is right.  What has
not been mentioned yet is that galvanic action / corrosion gives
rise to unintentional / stray currents.  So your Lucas lights are
dim *and* you blow fuses. Cleaning the contacts fixes both problems.
Or was it jostling those 20+ year old wires and connectors?  Maybe
Dan got it right when he mentioned a grasshopper might be shorting
out the bulb ;-)

Back to the fringes.

--
Bob Sykes