Re: Antenna & Alternator

To: "Dr. Lyle C. Ailshie" <ailshiel@greene.xtn.net>
Subject: Re: Antenna & Alternator
From: Zink <zink@pdq.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 20:08:25 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Dr. Lyle C. Ailshie wrote:

> I am very inexperienced and of limited technical ability (as will
> become
> very apprent as you see more of my messages). I would like to know if
> anyone knows where I can get a radio antenna for a 1980 Spitfire. The
> car I have has had the antenna replaced and I would like to find one
> like the original that can be pulled out or pushed in with a special
> key.
> Also, I think my alternator needs work. I can crank the car, but the
> ignition light stays on. Am I correct? Any suggestions on reparing the
> alternator instead of having to purchase one?
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Lyle C. Ailshie
> --

> * DR. LYLE C. AILSHIE
> *
> * WORK                                         HOME
> *
> * Assistant Superintendent For Instruction     450 Potter Creek Lane
> *
> * Greeneville City Schools                     Mohawk, TN  37810
> *
> * P. O. Box 1420                               (423) 235-2496 Phone
> *
> * Greeneville, TN  37744
> *
> * (423) 787-8000 Phone
> *
> * (423) 638-2540 Fax                           EMAIL
> *
> * http://www.gcschools.net                     ailshiel@gcschools.net
> *

Hi Doc,
Let us assume that the "original" antenna is a disappearing variety.
I purchased an aftermarket unit at the neighborhood Auto Zone for about
$10, and it is of the flush mount variety.

And about your alternator, does the light stay on when the engine is
revved up or does it grow dimmer or go out?  If you wish to have your
alt. rebuilt, look in the Yellow Pages for a rebuilder, or better yet ck
with your favorite mechanic and see whom he would recommend.  Then
contact either him or check with several rebuilders and see who works on
Lucas and find out if they guarantee their work.

As always this is JMO.

Larry Zink
1964 Spitfire4
Houston