Re: FW: Spit clutch master and shiprights disease

To: J Schoonmaker <Schoonmaker@msn.com>
Subject: Re: FW: Spit clutch master and shiprights disease
From: Zink <zink@pdq.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 19:58:29 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
J Schoonmaker wrote:

> ----------
>         I am in the process of rebuilding the clutch master of our '79
> Spit, having
> tired of the slowly growing stain on the driver's floorpad.  From what
> I've
> read on the list, it seemed logical that if you are going to take the
> car
> apart enough to be able to get at the bleeder on the slave cylinder,
> you
> should probably just replace the (original) rubber goods there at the
> same
> time.
>
> TRF quickly supplied both rebuild kits  (testimony, NOT advertising)
>
> Service manual in hand, the tunnel is out, as are the master and slave
> cylinders.
>
>         Hmmmm.  There's a good look at the transmission fill plug.
> Sure would be the
> best time to drain and refill it while we're here.
>
>         Anything else I should be thinking at this point??  Any
> serious warnings or
> advice from the list?
>
> Jim Schoonmaker
> Manlius, NY
> 79 Spitfire (32K original owner miles)

Jim,
Since the tranny cover is out, wgat about the clutch and u-joints?  Is
the shift linkage OK?  What about front and rear tranny seal? If you are
going to do the u-joints, what about the diff.? Any leaks, squeaks or
annoying noises? If you are going to work on the diff. you will need to
pull those rear axles, and to do that you need to dismantle the rear
brakes.  May as well do shoes and w/c. Also check those brake lines.;-)

You know if I keep going I will probably make you paranoid about
this.:-)

If every thing else is working, just do the s/c, bleed it and get back
on the road.

Larry Zink
1964 Spitfire4
Houston