Tail light socket repairs

To: bwnbcg@sjm.infi.net, s1500@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Tail light socket repairs
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 11:53:34 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 97-07-27 11:35:05 EDT, bwnbcg@sjm.infi.net (Brian N.)
writes:

> Had these problems/solutions.  Except the grasshopper.  However, I think
>  the metal tabs on the tail light sockets loose some of their spring
>  power over time from heat, age, ?, and they make a poor connection on
>  the bulbs.  This leads to more heat which leads to less spring which
>  leads to more . . . .
>
>  Anyone found a replacement socket of better design than the old that
>  will fit inside the lens?

Brian:

Are the sockets on your Spitfire the same as on the TR6? Every one of the
sockets on my project '71 TR6 were non-operable. It turned out the brass
piece that makes contact with the bulb, and connects to the ring with the
spring tabs, was no longer making contact with the ring (it's a lot easier to
see than it is to describe!). I repaired them by wedging a small (about 1/4"
long, 18-20 Ga.) piece of solid copper hook-up wire between the brass strip
and the ring, using a pair of needle nose pliers. The car is not yet on the
road, so I don't know how well the fix will hold up with time, but they are
all working now. You might look into if you have problems again, and cleaning
doesn't work. It sure beats trying to train a grasshopper!

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74