Re: No spark TR3

To: Franz and Monica Bachmann <fmjm@cyou.com>
Subject: Re: No spark TR3
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 16:04:32 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sun, 27 Jul 1997, Franz and Monica Bachmann wrote:

> I am trying to get my tr3 running again after sitting 5 years.  I
> installed new coil, rotor, cap, wires, plugs, condensor, but have no
> spark but have juice across positive and negative terminals on the coil.
> Am I correct in putting negative side of coil to the ignition switch and
> positive side to the distributor???
>
> Any help from fellow listers will be most welcome.
>
> Franz Bachmann
> TR3  TS80195L

Which wire goes where on the coil depends upon whether you've gone with
positive or negative earth. Regardless, though, you'd get spark
sufficient to power the engine.

My guess is that the surface of the contact points might be dirty if old
or perhaps covered with a bit of a protectant if new. Either way,
cleaning those up might help. Also, if you've recently replaced or
renewed these, depending on the brand, it's easy enough (been there, done
that) to get the little wire and various bits of nylon washers and
insulators on the wrong way so that current doesn't flow.

Just a couple of quick thoughts.

--Andy