Re: DPO wiring

To: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Subject: Re: DPO wiring
From: Susan Hensley <susan@grotecon.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 13:14:02 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Henry Frye wrote:

> snip
> >         A friend of mine claimed to have worked on a TR that had been
> >         rewired with lamp (read brown 2 strand) wire. <snip>

NOT the way to run household lamps from the car, sorry to say...

I have to relate my experience here, too -- when I got my first Spit
back in about 1984, the lights in the rear did not work at all.  After I
looked into the trunk to see what was going on, I found that the DPO had
rewired (if you can call it that) the whole rear from the passenger
compartment back with varying colors and gauges of wire.  Doesn't sound
too bad, except it varied in the same strands, usually about 5 times!
So the brake light to one side was 12 gauge black for 5 inches, then 18
gauge green with red stripe for 12", then 10 gauge purple for 10" -- you
get the picture.  The worst strand had seven gauge changes and six color
changes!  No wonder no electricity.  None in the DPO's synapses,
either!  That was the first thing I ever had to do to my very first Spit
(learned a good bit about acceptable wiring practices doing it by
myself) and I am pleased to say everything worked the first time after
getting it all put back right!

Ok, story's over.  Everyone go home.

Keep Triumphing,
Susan Hensley  %)