tail light sockets again

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: tail light sockets again
From: tom.omalley@channel1.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 21:10:15 GMT
If you guys can handle just one more post on this topic...am I too
late? :-)

 Veteran Spitster Bob Sykes writes:

>The "ground" connection can be more difficult.  The contact that
>connects with the metal sleeve of the bulb is easy to clean / reinforce.

>But the connection to the metal ring than Dan described is troublsome.
>Also where the individual lamp holder "fingers" connect to the lamp
>cluster housing can present problems.  (has for me)

If I'm correctly understanding the failure mode that you and Dan
speak of I think I've been there too.  When I first got my Spit I was
impressed at all the different brightness levels the tailamps could
produce.  Really neat.

30 minutes with my mult-meter had me shaking my head.  Everything
I needed to make a lightbulb work *seemed* to be there, but no dice.

Finally traced it to the sockets themselves.  These particular sockets

are molded but I was able to pry it apart without damage.  In there
was a brass strip that <think it was brass> that simply pushes on
another metal part to maintain contact.  Perhaps the ring Bobby speaks
of.

I definately cleaned it, I may even have soldered it, but the
surprising part was that it all snapped back together without
difficulty.  Another sample might have crumbled in my hands.

Working a treat to this day. :-)

Tom O'Malley
'74, '77 Spits....stationary but great tailamps