Re: TR-6 braking performance?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR-6 braking performance?
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 97 13:23:13 PDT
Erik Quackenbush wrote:
        > Does anyone have any experience with performance modifications to the
TR-6
        > braking system? I've seen cross drilled rotors, vented rotors, and
braided
        > stainless/teflon hoses offered ....

It all depends on how much you want to spend.  Braking systems can send you
broke really fast.

I went the budget route recently and ungraded all the hose lines to braided
stainless/teflon; a marked improvement in pedal sensitivity, and I can now rest
easy that I have new hoses.

Another budget improvement is to move to DOT 5+ brake fluid (no relationship
to the synthetic DOT 5).  All the bennies of DOT 4 and 5 rolled into one, and
without the need to change all your seals if you move to DOT 5 (which I would
not recommend anyway).

Again another budget improvement is to go to better pads.  A fellow local
here in San Diego makes racing pads, and pads for "spirited" driving.
Not cheap at $80 for a set, but they offer a VAST difference.  I dont
know what the compound is, but it works without the usual problems of
truely hard race pads.

I'm not sure if this can be done on TRs, but in other automake circles, a
common upgrade is to replace the brake master with with one that has a larger
diameter rod.  I've not seen any of the vendors advertize this, but I am sure
it can be done.  CNC here in San Diego do this stuff for a living, and I
am sure they could make you a ally master for $120-$150.  Going this route
decreases pedal pressure, but will not necessarily improve
performance.  However you will need one if you....

Go the whole hog and replace with, say, a Wilwood system.  Probably overkill
in a TR.  Now we are starting to talk mucho $1000s.  How about just
changing calipers?  Is it possible to mount a second caliper?

As for the rears, the list has discussed using 240Z drums, and those with
big budgets could go for the beautiful Alfin drums.

Has anyone put disks on the rear?

Of course, do please make sure that your suspension and steering components
are up to the task - putting on monster brake systems does add considerable
stress to you car :)

And finally, to quote a much overused expression;

"Waddya want brakes for, they only slow ya down!"

        Shane Ingate in San Diego