Steering column bushings [TR6]

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Steering column bushings [TR6]
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 97 14:15:48 PDT
All,
        I've almost finished restoring the dash area in "Rags".
The walnut veneer sanded and finished in several thin coats
of Behr Spar Varnish looks fabulous.  I dont know what they looked
like new, but it looks as good as the dashes in Piggotts book.
        Before mounting up the dash, I thought I would rebush the
steering column.  I ordered 2 new bushings from Moss, but I
cannot get the old bushing out of the column (I can image inserting
the new bushing will be just as hard).
        Someone on the list mentioned that they had done this
(destroying a couple of bushings in the process).  Is there a trick
to removing/inserting new bushings in the column?
        For those who dont know what the bushing is, there are 2
of them, consisting of concentric tubes of nylon/steel/rubber.
The outside rubber piece has 2 *ears* that need to be depressed
before the bushing can be removed, but the fit is very tight!
        Thanks in advance,
        Shane Ingate in San Diego