Re: Steering column bushings [TR6]

To: ingate@shiseis.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Steering column bushings [TR6]
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 20:06:14 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-07-28 19:34:03 EDT, ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F.
Ingate) writes:

> Someone on the list mentioned that they had done this
>  (destroying a couple of bushings in the process).  Is there a trick
>  to removing/inserting new bushings in the column?

Shane:

I've done this twice. To remove the old ones, I cut off the "ears" with a
razor blade, then squirted WD40 in the tube. Using a dowel rod, I pushed the
old ones out. To put the new ones in, I again used a liberal application of
WD40, and the dowel rod. They went in with no problem at all.

The first time I tried, without WD40, they didn't want to go in. It was
amazing how much difference the lubricant made.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74