Steering column bushings warning [TR6]

To: ingate@shiseis.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Steering column bushings warning [TR6]
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 20:43:53 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-07-28 19:34:03 EDT, ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F.
Ingate) writes:

> Someone on the list mentioned that they had done this
>  (destroying a couple of bushings in the process).  Is there a trick
>  to removing/inserting new bushings in the column?

Shane:

In addition to the comments I made earlier, I would like to add one caveat!
 Don't press the "big end" of the steering column, or the bell shaped
portion, against the bench while you press on the other end to remove the
bushings. The spot welds holding the bell to the column are fairly weak, and
easy to break. If you break them, you will have to drill holes and use pop
rivets to put it back (hmm, wonder how I learned that!). If you want to push
from that direction, use a block of wood to press against the smaller, inner
column, rather than the bell.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74