Re: Re[2]: TR6 "J" type o/d rear oil seal

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Re[2]: TR6 "J" type o/d rear oil seal
From: Joe Seward <jsseward@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 21:01:32 -0400
James H. Davis, Jr. wrote:

> Hey Murry!
> Thanks for the info. I have replaced the rear o/d seal using the method
> you describe, and the leak remains the same. The leak is definitely
> coming from the rear seal. It was a real bear to get the new seal in
> because the driveshaft cover is in the way. Something else must be amiss.
> I'm thinking maybe there is a gouge in the o/d case I didn't notice and
> oil is seeping by, or the flange is scored. I'll look closely at the
> above before I pull the tranny.
> I use Castrol hypoy C 80-90w, which is GL5. If I ever get this leak
> fixed, I'll probably convert to synthetic. <snip>

Another possibility is that the speedo cable shaft is leaking.  There is
actually a very small (< 1") seal where drive gear exits the case.  On
my TR6, the seal was mush and the shaft grooved.  There could be a very
slight groove on the main output shaft as well, and it doesn't take much
extra clearance to cause a leak.

As a note, I had a problem using synthetic gear oil with a J type
overdrive.  It worked fine in the forward gears, but the overdrive
clutch slipped in reverse.  I have heard that the Redline synthetics
actually add ingredients to restore a bit traction for limited-slip
diffs, etc.  Anyone have any experience with this?  I am currently using
Castrol hypoy C, but wouldn't mind going synthetic.

Joe Seward
'73 TR6