ZS Problems (Spitfire)

To: dchilds@lawson.epri.com
Subject: ZS Problems (Spitfire)
From: Dee Jackson <dee_jackson@gilbarco.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 15:06:22 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 28 Jul 1997 16:30:43 "Childs, David" <dchilds@lawson.epri.com>
wrote:

>Has anyone used the Longflow air filter on a Spit with a ZS carb?
>Has anyone successfully removed the charcoal canisters?

-snip-

No, not successfully.  I tried the Longflo on my Z-S and achieved very
similar results to what you're seeing.  Terrible performance and
backfiring thru the carb.  Another Spit owner tried the Longflo filter
and saw the same thing.

>I have tried tuning the car with the air filter off.  Runs fine up to >5000.
>It seems the problem is when I get it on the road and put the car under >a load
>that I lose power and does not run correctly.  However, as soon as I >put the
>old air filter on it it works.  It should also be noted that when I >tested it
>with no air filter I used the air filter screws.
 -snip-

BTDT.  Used the tool, no help, even at max richness.  It was suggested
to me that likely the needle would need to be changed to enrichen the
mixture to account for the increased airflow.  Me, I put the original
air cleaner back on until the auto-choke loosened up and the carb wanted
to idle too high.  That was last fall and during what I consider to be
the peak of primetime driving here in NC and I didn't want any downtime
so I put on a Weber DGV and manifold from British Parts Northwest.  That
has solved all my Z-S problems to date. ;^) (Real Soon Now I'm gonna get
the Z-S off the shelf and rebuild and adjust it.)

BTW, now that I'm running the Weber, I've no charcoal cannisters at all.

D.
'78 Spit
FM90204UO

--