Re: TR-3A keys and locks question

To: jfcowan@sj.znet.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR-3A keys and locks question
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 15:11:46 -0400 (EDT)
John, FWIW.  TR4 keys were:

TR4's had 2 keys, one (round) for the ignition and doors and the second
(square) for the trunk and glove box.  They were shaped differently for ease
of use.  To open the doors you used the round key and then the same key
started the car.  If you had a key in the ignition the other key (square)
would open the glove box or trunk (yeah - yeah if it was not on the same key
ring).  Makes sense when you think about it.  Called human engineering these
days, called "customer smarts" back then.

You asked:
> 1. How is yours organized?

My answer is above and I would be willing to bet that TR3A were the same.

> 2. Why would both keys work on my ignition?

Sounds like the ignition switch tumblers are worn and the glove box/trunk key
is close enough in configuration to work them.  There are ways to fix or
replace that.

Both keys and locks are readily available from several places.  The matching
identifying numbers should be on the locks and the keys.  Cheers.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner)
VTR TR4 vehicle consultant)