Re: TR6 mufflers

To: James Charles Ruwaldt <jruwaldt@indiana.edu>
Subject: Re: TR6 mufflers
From: "The Stretz's" <ccfarm@tranquility.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 22:33:40 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
James Charles Ruwaldt wrote:

> Out of curiosity, is the muffler on a '72 TR6 supposed to be welded?  I
> can't really tell from the Moss catalogue.  I'd suspect so, since I don't
> see the metal O-rings you'd normally find.  If it isn't, that'd be nice,
> because I'd rather do the work myself than pay a shop to weld it on.
> Jim Ruwaldt
> '72 TR6 CC79338U(being restored)
> Bloomington, IN

Jim,
I don't think any TR6's had welded mufflers (or entire exhaust systems
for that matter).  One needs to be able to remove it occasionally to
work on other components like the driveshaft and diff.  Mine is a the
dual pipe system and I've had the damn thing on and off my car at least
5 or 6 times in the last year.

What I would like to know is a sure-fire way to keep it leakproof.  I
repositioned my clamps each time and I still get exhaust leaks around
the joints!

Chad Stretz

73 TR6 CF7511U with freshly packed front wheel bearings and a shiny new
inspection sticker