Re: Spit Mk 4 Crankshaft & UNL cy head

To: Andy Bristow <ajbristow@taz.dra.hmg.gb>
Subject: Re: Spit Mk 4 Crankshaft & UNL cy head
From: William Davies <w.davies@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 16:44:59 -0700
Andy Bristow wrote:

> I have heard that this particular engine (eng no starts FH) eats
> crankshafts/bearings for breakfast, and the way to tell if you've got
> bearing trouble is if there is movement of the flywheel. Is this true ??

It's not as free revving as a MK3 Engine (FD), due to larger bearings,
but the 1500 engines are the ones which really kill crankshafts when
driven hard/neglected. Movement at the flywheel will show if the thrust
bearings are worn or have fallen out - this is a different problem which
all engines in this family can suffer from.

> The other thing is that I've got the head off right now, and I need to
> replace the valves, valve guides etc. I see that Rimmer Bros are
> offering unleaded heads. With the price of 4star, I thought this might
> be a good time to change to u/l.
>
> Does anyone have any experience of u/l heads, or know who else who does
> them here in the UK (Rimmer can be expensive).

I've always found John Kippings in Coventry to be the best all round
supplier (I have no vested interest, usual disclaimer etc., just a very
sattisfied customer). I know they do unleaded heads on exchange. It
might be worth calling them for advice - both John and Fiona are very
knowledgable and helpful. Their number is: (01203) 645333.

They also have a website at: http://www.kipping.co.uk/

        Regards,
                Bill.
--

    ^================^      This Message sent by:
 | |                  | |   1966 Herald 1200 Convertible
 |_|                  |_|   1959 Standard Atlas Pickup