zs carbs

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: zs carbs
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 10:50:40 -0600
I was planning on rebuilding the carbs on my 76 TR6 (stock twin ZS
CD175's) this winter. Thought it would make a nice off-season project.
Have the Bentley and Haynes manuals, bought the Haynes carb tech manual
to do advance research (never looked at carbs before). I also noticed in
this month's British Car that the Dec 96 and Feb 97 issues contained a
two part Tech section on Carbs. I thought I would get these back issues
as backup and a different perspective for my upcoming (non-trivial for
me) task.

Of course this weekend, just after I finally pieced my suspension back
and went for a quick test drive, the carbs started to leak. Both of
them. This is a car I have had for 15 years and which has been parked
indoors for the last 9 prior to my commencing work on it last spring.
(Carbs have never been rebuilt on it).

So it looks like I may be facing the rebuild during the driving season,
in fact this weekend (long weekend in Canada). Thus I have a request and
a question:

Request:
        Can anyone who has the two issues of British Car fax me a copy
of the two carb articles? I am willing to pay for the phone charges. I
can see no way of receiving the back issues in time for this weekend
even if I pay a gazzillion dollars - Canada Customs will undoubtedly
hold it up long enough that I get it after the weekend. I can provide
the fax # to any interested lister. This would be greatly appreciated. I
really want as much info on carb rebuilds as I can get since for me this
would be a very complex task.

Question:
        TRF is the only supplier who provides the rebuild kits with
grose jets. Is it worth my while to wait for these kits (or to use grose
jets with the standard Moss kits which I can get locally) or are the
stock jets fine? What are people's experiences with both kinds of jets,
good and bad? Very interested to hear about this from those who have
done carbs before.

If it turns out that I should use the grose jets and I can't get them
locally IU may just try to patch up my leaks until I get the grose jets,
otherwise I will go ahead and rebuild them this weekend.

Thanks for any help!

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada