Re: TR6 Spin on Oil Filter Adapter

To: "Jim Altman" <jaltman@altlaw.com>, "'Keith Ehrlich'" <75452.105@CompuServe.COM>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Spin on Oil Filter Adapter
From: "Nick" <Nickbk@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 17:47:22 -0700

> I only had one outer ring.  I had a thick and a thin inner ring.  The one

> outer ring was the same thickness as the prior ring from the canister
> filter.  I think I have solved the problem by using the ring and then
> adding a bead of hi-temp, nonhardening silicon gasket maker.  It has
sealed
> and eliminated the leak.  I just hope it'll peal off if I ever need to.
>
> Thanks for your note.
>
> Jim

Jim,Keith etal...

This is a VERY dangerous practice. The sealing area of the filter adapter,
is basically AFTER the filter (as far as the oil flow is concerned). Any of
the "hi-temp, nonhardening silicon gasket maker"  that you have applied is
going to go directly into the engine, and immediately to the place where it
can cause the most havoc (usually a bearing on the crank. Pieces of the
sealer WILL flake off !
If you must "fix" your leak in the easiest manner, use two outer o-rings
stacked one upon the other. I do not endorse this as a real repair, only a
patch 'til you do it right.
Do not overtighten the bolt as I have seen blocks with the threaded section
pulled right out of the side of the block when the "brute force" method has
been utilized. The real problem is the depth of the outer groove in the
block. These grooves seem to be of different depths. On the original setup,
this did not matter as the filter cup only contacted that outer groove and
the depth was somewhat immaterial. However. the spin on adapter contacts
both the inner and outer mating surfaces. The problem is that when the
outer groove is too deep. the adapter contacts the inner sealing area
before the outer edge of the adapter is far enough into the outer groove to
make a good seal. The correct repair is to mill the inner mating surface of
the adapter so that both the inner and outer mating surfaces make a good
seal. To do this, it must be a "trial and error" fitting as you mill the
inner mating surface in small increments.

I heartily suggest that you do not operate the car any further until you
have removed all of the aforementioned silicone sealer.

If my explanation is confusing, and I do have a hard time trying to explain
stuff without the visuals, lemme know and we can continue off-line so as to
not waste the bandwidth...
         Nick in Nor Cal