Re: Rear differential (center section) removal?

To: SUCHAK <suchak@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: Rear differential (center section) removal?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 21:02:49 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, SUCHAK wrote:

> I need to remove a differential from a mid 70 Spit and am wondering how
> much disassembly is involved.  I don't need the axles, the spring or the
> control arms, just the "pumpkin".  Can I just unbolt the mounts, axle
> flanges, driveshaft and spring bolts  and just slip it out of there...

That'll do it. That incredibly long bolt that holds the back of the
differential up it the tough one, BTW.

> Should I just finish unbolting the already loose
> tub and toss it out of the way?

Wouldn't help all that much.

 Seriously, would the job be easier from
> the top?  It might be an option!

Unfortunately, it's not.

> More questions:  Is there any difference in Spit rears that will foil my
> plan to put it in a similar year car?  I know the GT6's have lower gear
> ratio's, and there were a couple of ratio's in the spit, but from a fit
> standpoint, are they all similar after 1970 or so?

The "break" point is between the 1970 (last of the round-tail) and 1971
(1st of the square-tail) Spitfire. Later units will bolt into earlier
cars and vice-versa, but the earlier units used smaller flanges that
require matching flanges on driveshaft and axles (u-joints are the same).
The later units are somewhat beefier.

> Also, is anything going to whack my arm off when I unbolt it?

No, but take my advice and don't be directly under the da*n thing when it
finally falls. Did my stomach and ribcage no good whatsoever when that
happened to me way back in high school. OTOH, the fact that I was lying
in about 1 ft. of snow may have helped cushion the blow. The things one
does at that age.... :-)

--Andy