Re: Spitfire Stumblies

To: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Stumblies
From: "Charlie B." <cb1500@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 14:22:20 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Kevin,

Is this something that just happened, or have you done something to the
engine lately?

Is the Mallory dist. a vacuum unit? Has the vacuum hose come off,
developed a leak? If it's straight mechanical, it's possible the springs
and weights may have become stuck in the advance position. Throw a light
on the timing marks to see how much advance you have a idle.

Have you checked the mixture at idle? Have you tried the piston-lifting
technique to check for mixture? Are you sure the pistons are moving
freely--back out the dampers to reduce oil resistance, lift and let
the pistons drop. They should fall freely and land with a click. Next
time you pull away from a stop, pull the choke out a little to richen
the mixture--does the condition get better? Worse? If there's no change
start looking for ignition problems.

Hope that helps.
Charlie B.

ps. Did you get the springs swapped out? New one's work OK?