Re: TR6 prop and half-shafts

To: peb3@cornell.edu
Subject: Re: TR6 prop and half-shafts
From: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Date: 5 Sep 97 10:21:55
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Phil Barnes wrote:

>>In an effort to rid the Mistress of an annoying high-speed vibration, I've
decided to replace all the U-joints in the driveline at once. I will give
them to a machine shop to do, as I hate doing the joints myself. My
question is this: Is it recommended to have the shafts balanced after this
work, or is it overkill? Having them balanced means taking them to a heavy
truck place 40 miles away; not convenient. I appreciate any help.<<

I strongly recommend balancing the prop shaft.  Compare driving the 40 miles
with the frustration you will surely feel if you reinstall it with the new
joints,
and it vibrates like a madman at speeds above 40 mph.

As we say in the School of Hard Knocks  ... *been there, done that.*

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6