RE: TR-4A: Lower wishbone attachment upgrade.

To: "'John Cowan'" <jfcowan@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: TR-4A: Lower wishbone attachment upgrade.
From: Keith Bennett <Triumph@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 13:48:39 -0400
Cc: "'Triumph list'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Friday, September 05, 1997 11:05, John Cowan wrote:

>    Last  year someone wrote that their lower wishbone fell out on the
road.
>  Don't want *that* to happen.  Anyone have experience dealing with this
issue?

John,
        I had one of my wishbone mounts break last year, just after doing a
sprint at Goodwood. The handling started to feel a bit odd on the way back,
I got home OK, the next day I took it out of the garage and it callapsed on
me, one of the mounting brackets had pulled out of the chassis.
These brackets are weak, especially if you put fatter tyres on.
The later TR6s have a wishbone bracket that is held on by two bolts, its a
good idea to fit these, or you can modify the old ones by welding another
stud in 1 inch below the existing one.
There's a second mod to strengthen the chassis mounting points where they
weld on to the main rails. You can get strengthening plates from
Triumphtune which when welded in place brace the brackets against the top
of the chassis.
Finally, on mine I put 1/8" steel plates behind the brackets to double the
thickness of steel that the bolts would have to pull through.

I hope this info helps,

Keith Bennett

E-mail: Triumph@compuserve.com