Random orbit buffer [was Rubbing compound...]

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Random orbit buffer [was Rubbing compound...]
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 97 09:27:56 PDT
Ross D. Vincenti wrote:
        > Very efficient.  Also very dangerous if held the wrong way, to both
the
        > operator and the vehicle.

While not LBC related, it reminds me of a story some years ago.  Symbolic
Motors here in San Diego is a very hi-end Ferrari etc reseller, claiming
to have over $12M in inventory.  Ex-Jackie Stewart F1 cars, GT40s, LM250s
are seen regularly.   I was in my hunt for a Pantera, and one day they had
one in the window.  The next day I stopped by and it was gone.  I spoke with
the salesman who snobbily replied "Oh, we got rid ft that thing.  We
had to hide it around the back with a sheet over it".  Bad start #1.
I then asked some general stuff about who they sell their cars to:
"Oh, most of our clients are overseas.  Most Americans are too cheap
or want to give the car a thorough mechanical examination".  Bad start #2.
(FWIW, Symbolic have recently sold the 3 Alfa Romeo BAT cars for $1M each, to
an undisclosed owner...probably out of the country).
At this stage I was getting pretty upset with this guy and his attitude.
Behind us was a fellow buffing out a Lambo Diablo when suddenly, the
buffing pad/disk separated from the machine and flew off with the
metal shaft leaving a 3-foot long deep scratch on the adjacent 250LM.
Karma comes back, Pal.  I feel sorry for the guy doing the buffing,
he was probably in the soup line that evening.

Another reason to be careful!

        Shane Ingate in San Diego