TR6 differential

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 differential
From: slevine@toucan.com (Sandy Levine)
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 14:13:26 -0500
I am the proud owner of two differentials for a TR6. My original, covered
with 30 years of gunk and one off of my parts car which was clean and
painted like new - only problem was the oil seals needed to be replaced.

When I compared the inner axle shafts from the two units, I found them to
be different sizes. The TRF catalog lists an early unit  and a later unit
but the inner axles appears to be the same for both.

My question is . . . can anyone help me figure out if the differential from
the parts car is actually for a TR6

My original differential has serial number CD18815 and the inner axle shaft
is one inch shorter than the inner axle shaft from my spare differential
which has a serial number CD78495. I do not want to go to all of the
trouble replacing the oil seals only to find out that the differential is
not for a TR6 or has a different ratio. Theoretically, the CD prefix was
for a TR6, but why the difference in the axle lengths?

Any ideas??

Sandy Levine
70 TR6
Tampa FL