T/R 6 starter

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: T/R 6 starter
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 08:17:30 -0700
Listers, trying to help a neighbor with his 71 T/R 6 starter that seems
to have retired itself. This is a original car with original everything,
engine has never been out, nothing on the car has ever been replaced
according to him. When I pulled the starter both of the wires from the
harness as well as the battery hot cable were on the top pole on the
soleinoid, nothing on the bottom pole and looking at the brass pole
nothing has every been on it. Installed the new starter the same way she
started right up and then 30 min. later the battery (new) was dead and
she would not start. Should all wires on this starter be on the same
terminal ??? One Lucar wire connection at 1 o'clock position. If I put
the battery cable on the top pole and the 2 wires from the harness
shorts-out and will smoke when you touch the starter, reverse the cable &
wires and she will not start, connect the wires together and she started
!! what did I do wrong. Remember this is the original harness and starter
never off the car so from the factory all wires were on the top post.