Re: Non TR4 springs...?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Non TR4 springs...?
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwartz@encad.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 07:25:18 -0700
>Did the spitfire/herald ever come with 2 leaf springs?  I'm none too
>familiar with the IRS system, and these are very small springs... vitals are:
>
>3 leaves, nylon bushes, 29" in length (approx), 2 spring keepers each...
>
>They remind me of trailer springs, and that's what I'm expecting they
>are... but if they're spit springs, I'd like to know!
***********************************
Malcolm,
They are not Spitfire springs, even the MK4/1500 swing spring which has the
fewest has five leaves, four spring clamps/retainers total.  Actually the
swing spring is kind of unique in that the main leaf (the one that clamps
to the diff) has the standard bushing mounts at each end but the second
leaf (at it's ends) is bent around the bushing mounts, on the first leaf
with about an 8th of an inch clearance all around.  Also in the middle of
all the leafs except the main one they are arched with a small bump/hump to
accomodate the bolt and sleeve that they 'pivot' around, so it looks
entirely different than most leaf springs.  Besides, it's around 41 inches
long, bush to bush

Barry Schwartz in San Diego, CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6/5sp Spitfire ( daily driver )
70 GT6+ ( when I don't drive the Spitfire )
70 (sorta) Spitfire ( project )
73  Ford Courier ( parts hauler )