Re: Head Ache(no-LBC)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Head Ache(no-LBC)
From: tuu@cosmail3.ctd.ornl.gov (Tim Tucker)
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 12:46:42 -0400
At 05:31 PM 9/8/97 +0100, Giles Nelson wrote:
>I'm afraid this is one of those `black magic' areas that the professionals
>don't even agree on.

[snip]

>Speaking to non-TR professionals their response included:
>bring engine up to normal working temperature, allow to cool, re-torque
>drive 5000 miles, re-torque
>don't re-torque at all(!)
>
>One would think that after 100 years of motor cars a consensus view would have
>been established for cast-iron engines! Alas no.
>
>Giles Nelson.
>
>1973 TR6 PI.

"bring engine up to normal working temperature, allow to cool, re-torque" is
the manner in which
the Volvo factory manual says their B27/28 engine is to be done(same motor
as in the Deloran).  The
volvo heads were "angle torqued", rather neat I thought.  Torque to 40-50
lbs(can't remember) and then
torque 114(can't remember exact number)degrees.  I built this engine 120,000
miles ago, which is longer
than the original lasted.  The original threw out its thrust washers(could
someone explain that for an auto?).
Sorry for the non-LBC content, but I covered two threads:)

Tim
Kingston, Tennessee
'62 TR4 CT16063L

email: ttucker@conc.tdsnet.com (Home)