RE-TORQUING HEAD

To: Triumph News Group <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE-TORQUING HEAD
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 09:44:22 -0700
In regards to the TR 4A type motor...

I've heard different ideas over the years... but... when you re-torque
the head...

should you loosen each nut a little, before re-torquing?  or what?

As much as I've been involved with Triumphs... Since I always did my own
work... (since 1977) ... this is just one of those questions that I
never really got a good answer on and somehow, has slipped through the
cracks...

>From experience, I do know, that simply hitting each nut with the the
torque wrench doesn't necessarily do anything... as the nut can get a
little frozen in place... hence... it could be many pounds below your
torque wrench setting, and, yet, it will simply click on first
attempt...

So I'm interested to hear a consensus of opinion on this issue.