Re: RE-TORQUING HEAD

To: tuu@cosmail3.ctd.ornl.gov
Subject: Re: RE-TORQUING HEAD
From: romano@bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk (Romano Kroemer)
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 19:29:41 +0100 (BST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
.. is it possible that different gaskets require different re-torquing
  methods? If the instructions attached to a gasket state that one
  should literally re-torque immediately, maybe this gasket is of a
  different type than those which want to be re-torqued after 500 miles.
  (after-market products such as head gaskets might be produced to
    different standards/procedures)

.. in addition, different cars (head/block combinations) might require
    different methods

.. the Haynes Spitfire manual says:

  - after replacement torque to the specified setting
  - after 500 miles re-torque
  - when you re-torque loosen each nut a little (a quarter of a turn),
       before re-torquing

Romano
'77 Spit
Oxford