RE: New Spit Owner

To: "Paul Arildsen" <hobby@ntplx.net> (Return requested), "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: New Spit Owner
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 08 Sep 1997 15:37:27 -0700
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 0BF4C34147E270D9-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 08 Sep 1997 15:37:27 -0700
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 08 Sep 1997 15:37:27 -0700
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <0BF4C34147E270D9*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Paul Arildsen wrote:
Hi folks!
I picked up (trailered) a '72 spit yesterday. I wheeled it into my
garage and stared at it.  It's in fair condition but needs some TLC
Where do I begin??!!  It has not run in 2 years and had a engine knock when
it did.  I have no probelm with rebuilding the engine but should I go all
the way  (rings, crank etc)?
=============
Paul - what do you want, a "runner" or something closer to a show quality
piece?  A weekend toy or a reliable daily driver that won't leave you
stranded while wearing you best business suit and late for an important
meeting on company sales objectives?  I'm assuming you want a fun weekend
runabout that you can drive to an occasional Triumphest, etc.  If so, the
first thing I'd do is check braking system.  Inspect all lines, hoses,
seals, master cyl., etc. and make sure it is operational - 2 years is a
long time.  Bleed the system and change out the fluid, does it need new
pads/shoes?  Don't even think about driving it until you are 100% certain
it will stop.

Second, since these are such easy cars to work on, and if your budget can
handle it, I'd tear the motor down completely to determine the source of
the knock.  Could be rod bearings - who knows.  Only one way to know for
sure.  My motto is assume the worst and be pleasantly surprised at how much
you don't have to do.  Figure parts alone for a full rebuild at about $400
to $500, but that should cover pretty much everything internal - new
bearings, pistons, rings, valves, springs, etc.

Have you done a full inspection?  You may also need to replace shocks and
all the suspension bushings, trunnions, etc.  Go over these very closely.
Hopefully they are not too bad.  After two years, I'd have the radiator
rodded out for $25 at the local shop.  It's cheap and effective. Finally,
how's the interior?  You can buy new panels and seat cover kits from TRF,
VB or Kipping or Rimmer Bros. in the UK for a few hundred dollars.  New
tops are available from several sources.

My advice is figure out whether you care how it looks versus how it drives.
 There are a LOT of really bad looking Spits out there that are
nevertheless in superb running condition simply because of lack of funds.
Good luck.
Ross D. Vincenti
Asst. General Counsel/Asst. Sec'ty.
Transamerica Home Loan - Legal Dept.