Re: New Spit Owner

To: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Subject: Re: New Spit Owner
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 19:48:13 +0100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
> Paul Arildsen wrote:
> Hi folks!
> I picked up (trailered) a '72 spit yesterday. I wheeled it into my
> garage and stared at it.  It's in fair condition but needs some TLC
> Where do I begin??!!  It has not run in 2 years and had a engine knock when
> it did.  I have no probelm with rebuilding the engine but should I go all
> the way  (rings, crank etc)?
> =============
 Paul: I might be worth your time to fire it up and do some diagnostics.
Here's why. Many moons ago, I checked out and bought an Alpine to use
for parts in restoring my Tiger. The owner was a fresh out of college
kid who had just had a clutch installed in the car before driving home
to RI from Maryland. The car developed what he called a bad rod knock,
so he decided to dump the car. I got it for $250, not caring if it ran
or not. The body was rot free, and I extracted many trim parts a 4
almost new Konis, which retail for more than I paid for the car.
Here's were you come in: a friend came over with one of his buddies to
check on my progress. The aformentioned gentleman was retired after many
years as a regional service rep for Chrysler. He's forgotten more about
cars than I'll ever learn.
I gave him the story on the car. He said "Put a battery in and start it
up, I want to hear it run" We did, it fired and sounded like rocks in a
washing machine. "Rev her up to 3000 rpm" was his request. The motor
stopped knocking! Shut it off, and he pronounced "The flywheels loose!"
OK, next day I dropped the tranny, and I'll be damned, the flywheel
bolts were finger tight! Whoever did the clutch had removed and
resurfaced the flywheel and forgotten to torque the bolts! Tightend it
up, put it back toghether, and the car ran quiet and smooth! Best part
is, I sold what was left of the car for $650! So, check it out before
you toss it out!