spitfire winter projects

To: "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: spitfire winter projects
From: "Eric C. Rupert" <eric@rpm.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 17:26:31 -0400
I am starting to make my fall/winter project list and am looking for a couple
ideas/experiences.

I would like to put some driving lights on my '66MKII.  Since the bonnet tips
forward, there is little room to mount them and I don't want to impede all of
the cooling airflow.  So, I would like something that looks the "period" like
some 4" round chrome lights or similar.  Any ideas?

Second.  This car somehow wound up with GT-6 seats and center tunnel cover.
 The PO said everything was original but I didn't know enough at the time.
 That said, I don't want to spend a fortune on fixing these (dry rotted foams
and seat support) and some wearout on the sides.  The car is for drive around
fun so my emphasis is on comfort, not originality.  What can I put in while
still preserving the lowback look?  I have seen seat shells in the racing
catalogs.  Are these comfortable?  They seem reasonably priced.

Last, I would like to add some guages to the car.  As you know, the only ones
are fuel and temp.  I have modified my steering support and fitted a SunTune
oil pressure gauge.  I wias thinking of an ammeter and oil combination behind
the steering wheel.  The originals are Jaeger, are the ammeter and oil pressure
gauges available?  Maybe used in TR's?  Will they cost a small fortune?  Is the
Oil a tube fed or electronic gauge?

Last, I am looking to spruce up the engine bay by having some valences
fabricated from sheet aluminum or stainless.  Unfortunately, I don't have the
passenger side as a template.  Anyone have a ratty one?  I think I can make a
template out of carboard for the front of the radiator and if I don't find
anything, I'll do the same for the engine.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Eric Rupert
vp, northeast operations
RPM Consulting
(302) 477-0888 voice (302) 477-0857 fax (888) 894-2561 pager