Re: GT6 questions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: GT6 questions
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwartz@encad.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 07:18:06 -0700
>About a year ago my '67 GT6 Mark 1 let me down in a big way. The thrust
>washer fell out and the crank damaged the block, basically junking the
>motor,
    <  snip  >
>1) How difficult is it to replace the differential on a Mark 1?

>2) Will the diff. of a Mark 2 or 3 fit  a Mark 1?

>3) How do I keep the thrust washer from falling out in the future? Should I
>replace them periodically or is there an aftermarket solution?

>4) What modifications do I need to make a TR6 motor fit? Also, I've heard
>that there isn't much of a performance gain because, although the TR6 motor
>has an extra 500 cc, it doesn't rev as nicely because of its longer stroke.
***************************
(1)  no more or less difficult than any other hearld based triumph.  Plan
on a good days work.
(2) Yes, they are all the same, externally
(3) Just make sure that you have the correct end float, and the washers are
in the right way.  There are other, more elaborate ways but if all is
correct there is really no way they can fall out.  And by the way, a good
machine shop can fix the block and main cap, re-weld, re grind, certainly
cheaper than another motor that you will probably need to rebuild anyway.
The TR6 motor will fit with a GT6 flywheel and clutch and starter bolted to
it.  No modifications other than possibly a different or GT6 intake
manifold as the TR6 intake and carb's may foul the bonnet (not a good
thing).  The later GT6's share the same block and head as the TR6, but the
extra torque may tear up the already marginal tranny.  And yes, they won't
rev as high. TR6 motors develop a nasty vibration around 6000 RPM (I
believe)that can't effectively be dampened out -

Barry Schwartz in San Diego, CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6/5sp Spitfire ( daily driver )
70 GT6+ ( when I don't drive the Spitfire )
70 (sorta) Spitfire ( project )
73  Ford Courier ( parts hauler )