GT6 questions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: GT6 questions
From: karim.marouf@cancom.com
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 17:09:33 -0800
About a year ago my '67 GT6 Mark 1 let me down in a big way. The thrust
washer fell out and the crank damaged the block, basically junking the
motor, which had been strong running with about 30K miles since the previous
owner had it rebuilt.  I'm planning on installing a used motor and have some
questions relating to this common thrust-washer problem, as well as a few
other things. I'll appreciate your advice!

1) How difficult is it to replace the differential on a Mark 1?

2) Will the diff. of a Mark 2 or 3 fit  a Mark 1?

3) How do I keep the thrust washer from falling out in the future? Should I
replace them periodically or is there an aftermarket solution?

4) What modifications do I need to make a TR6 motor fit? Also, I've heard
that there isn't much of a performance gain because, although the TR6 motor
has an extra 500 cc, it doesn't rev as nicely because of its longer stroke.