Re: GT6 questions

To: "Triumph Guys" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, <karim.marouf@cancom.com>
Subject: Re: GT6 questions
From: "Nick" <Nickbk@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 19:35:56 -0700
Thanks for the advice!

Just remember...you get what you pay for...

Are you sure that it's a post-72 motor that will fit and not a pre-72?
Someone else told me just the opposite.

Now any logical thinkin wrench bender would think that. But no, it seems
Triumph musta had two different guys workin on the 6 cylinder heads.  The
port spacing is different on the GT than on the TR series heads up until
'72 (75001 eng no I believe), when they made the spacing the same on all
the 6 cylinder motors. The spacing that they used is the one that had been
on the GT series motors all along. So, you can think of it as all the port
spacing being the same except for the big sixes between '68 and '72. I know
you won't believe this without some sort of proof (hey who would ?), so go
down to your local import parts house and look at the two gaskets and the
years and models that they fit. The difference is in the intake spacing,
they moved the intakes over about 1/3 of their total opening. Match the
gaskets, you'll see what I mean.
So what does this mean ? If you have a complete '72 or later TR6 engine,
just change the pan (actually you will have to put two dents in the pan up
front to clear the first two rod throws) and drop it in. Everything will
work. If you have a good earlier TR6 motor, you'll have to get a head off
of a later engine so that the intake problem will work. The GT head will
give far too high of a compression ratio if you try to bolt it on a TR
block.

Also, will Webers fit easier than the Strombergs? If I use them, will I not

have to worry about what year motor I get?

The fit of the carbs is not really the problem. You can use your existing
1&1/2" strombergs and intake manifold as they will bolt right up to that
post '72 TR head. With minor work you can even fit the 1&3/4" strombergs to
the GT manifold. (Yes you MUST use the GT manifold as it allows the carbs
to sit lower for hood clearance. The TR manifold will bolt on and the
engine will run, but when you close the hood you're gonna hate yourself
when you ruin the paint job on your hood, not to mention the dents caused
by the carbs).If you wanna really go for some power, then the webers are
waay cool. However, you MUST have a manifold that will fit the GT body
(even if you have a TR engine) because the front and center carbs will hit
the hood (not a good idea). The correct manifold is a little hard to find
and is designed so that the front carb is lower by an inch or so, and the
center carb is maybe half an inch lower than the rear carb, which is
mounted straight out from the head.

Sorry, you still gotta have the "right" motor...
     Nick in Nor Cal