RE: Spitfire front suspension rebuild

To: "Atwell (Buff) Haines" <carbuff@scooter.net> (Return requested), "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: Spitfire front suspension rebuild
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 11 Sep 1997 08:06:07 -0700
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 0F348341808DF00B-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 11 Sep 1997 08:06:07 -0700
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 11 Sep 1997 08:06:07 -0700
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <0F348341808DF00B*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Atwell (Buff) Haines wrote:

I am about to diassemble and rebuild the front suspension on my 79 Spit. I
have purchased the  major overhaul kit from Moss for this purpose, as well
as shocks and front springs. Is there anything else I should order
beforehand that would probably need replacing? Any "gotchas" or things to
note BEFORE I start disassembling? Any peculiarities in reassembly (I seem
to recall something about different length bolts for different places or
something...)
=================
Make sure you keep track of how many shims are placed in each of the bolt
holes for the lower A-arm mounts.  Replace with the same number.  The bolts
for mounting the lower A-arms are different in length than the upper A-arm
bolts - keep track of what went where.  Also, if you have never used a
spring compressor before (you'll need it to replace the shocks inside the
springs), BE CAREFUL.  You can get hurt really bad if a spring blows out
while under tension.  Otherwise, it is a very simple straightforward
rebuild. Regards, and good luck
Ross D. Vincenti
Asst. General Counsel/Asst. Sec'ty.
Transamerica Home Loan - Legal Dept.