Re: Spitfire front suspension rebuild

To: "Atwell (Buff) Haines" <carbuff@scooter.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire front suspension rebuild
From: "Brian W. Neuschwander" <bwnbcg@sjm.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 18:52:01 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Atwell (Buff) Haines wrote:

> Hello Group:
>
> I am about to diassemble and rebuild the front suspension on my 79 Spit. I
> have purchased the  major overhaul kit from Moss for this purpose, as well
> as shocks and front springs.

Ya, Buff--

Moss sold me 4 trunion kits that did not fit right.  VB sells a
different brand that fit right.  You can get the Moss ones to fit, but
you have to force the plastic pieces in and then force the sleeve in.  I
don't think the trunion works as designed when these parts cannot move
properly.  The sleeve is to move inside the plastic, the the bolt moving
in the sleeve.  You will see what I mean when you get into it.

THe real hard part of the job is removing any rusted bushing and truion
bolts.  Some of the wishbone inner bolts may come out only if you remove
the bracket from the frame.  Not too hard, except the one by the exhaust
pipe.

The worst case is a trunion bolt rust welded to the sleeve.  The sleeve
is hardened and you cannot cut it with regular tools.  I had to get a
diamond hacksaw blade.  It was a real pain.

Good luck.  Be sure to use anti-seize or lubricant on reassembly.

I have done two Spits now.  Easy except for the rust welded bolts.  The
bushings just pound out with the propoer tools, once you get the
wishbone pieces to the workbench.

--
Brian W. Neuschwander
Beach City Gas Station