Re: Header Paint

To: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Subject: Re: Header Paint
From: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 09:22:22 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
This thread is mutating a bit from the original question, but Martin's
comment prompts me to add my 2 cents:

On 12 Sep 1997 Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV wrote:

> Eastwood*s header paint is really only for manifolds -- it is thin
> enough to seep into the craggy surface of (blasted) cast iron.  I used
> it on a Spitfire manifold, and most of it burns off upon startup, but
> enough remains to *sort of* keep away rust, and it does make the
> manifold look slightly better than if you used nothing at all.  Header
> metal is too smooth for the paint, and it won*t hold.

I used a manifold paint from Bill Hirsch that I would highly recommend.  I
bought it in "cast iron" color (looks like freshly blasted cast iron) and
I think it comes in black too.  After painting a manifold (following
Hirsch's recommendations for surface preparation), I happened to break off
a stud at the exhaust flange.  Application of vice-grips and penetrating
oil didn't budge the stub, so I resorted to the propane torch assuming
that I'd have to blast and paint the manifold again.  I applied the heat
to the stud as carefully as I could, but unavoidably applied flame
directly to the paint for a good thirty seconds.  When all was said and
done, I had the stud out, and there was absolutely no change in the paint
due to my efforts.  After running the car for several hours, the paint
still looked good.  (The car is now with its new owner so I don't know how
the paint is holding up in the long run, but I can check back as the owner
is a friend).  Good stuff IMHO.

Hope this helps someone,
Mike
Omaha NE