Re: installing trany in a spitfire 1500

To: "Douglas Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>, Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>, rob sargent <trekkie@gte.net>
Subject: Re: installing trany in a spitfire 1500
From: Bill Woodruff <woodruff@fail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 10:54:46 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>> Subject: Re: installing trany in a spitfire 1500
>> rob sargent wrote:
>>
>> > does anyone know if you can install a tr7 5 speed in a
>> > 1973 spit
>>
>> I don't know how to do it, but back in '89 or '90, I
>> took a test-drive in a 1977 Spit that had a TR7 5-speed
>> in it.  The installation looked good, and worked fine.
>>-- End of excerpt from Ken Streeter
>
>Fairly straight forward. I think that you may need the bell housing
>from the Spit, as well as a driven disc from the later Spit. Not
>sure about the driveshaft. ISTR that the later Spits and the TR7
>used the same single rail gearbox. I think that the 5 speed box
>is externally the same as the early TR7 4 speed ones.

I'd be really interested in finding out if this is true.  Looking in the
V.B. catalog, the 5 speed sure doesn't look much like the 4 speed.
However, the 4 speed does look like the Spitfire/GT6 transmissions.  How do
the gearing ratios compare?  How did the 5 speed hold up in TR8?

William Woodruff                                woodruff@fail.com
San Francisco, CA