spitfire driveshafts

To: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: spitfire driveshafts
From: Chris LeBlanc <leblancm@brooktree.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 13:37:52 -0500
I have a 77 spitfire with a drive shaft which has a CV type joint at the
front (where is connects to the transmission).  In the VB catalog it
says that the strap type drive shaft was originally fitted to all
spitfires from 71 to 80, but this CV type is the replacement.  I bought
the car a couple of years ago, so I guess its been replaced.  Does
anyone know why they switched, so to speak.  Although it looks like
Triumph never produced a car with the CV type.  Is this an aftermarket
part?  Is one "better" than the other?
The reason I ask is because I get a very distinct "klunk" sound when I
apply power, either by releasing the clutch or sometimes just by hitting
the accelerator after coasting in gear for a bit.  I also get a noise
that is dependent on speed like a wobble.  I've looked at the whole
backend and the diff and half-shafts look good.  The U-joints at all 3
connections with the diff look good also.  By grabbing the driveshaft
and quickly turning I can definitely here what I think is the klunk
noise.  It comes from either the CV joint or the shaft itself.  Also, it
feels like the shaft is not hollow.  When I quickly twist it and stop it
abruptly it sounds like something inside is still moving around.  Does
this make sense?  I think this is the source of the wobble noise.  Has
anyone else experienced this?
I was considering putting the car back up on the jack stands, starting
it up, putting it in gear and watch and listen to what happens under
there.  I don't think I'll actually crawl under while this is going on.
The car is very solid up on 4 stands and it sounds like others have
started a car up on stands, so I don't think its a big deal.

Thanks for any help,
Chris LeBlanc