Re: spitfire driveshafts

To: leblancm@brooktree.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: spitfire driveshafts
From: "Jonathan Miles" <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 13:22:39
> I have a 77 spitfire with a drive shaft which has a CV type joint at the
> front (where is connects to the transmission).  In the VB catalog it
> says that the strap type drive shaft was originally fitted to all
> spitfires from 71 to 80, but this CV type is the replacement.  I bought
> the car a couple of years ago, so I guess its been replaced.  Does
> anyone know why they switched, so to speak.  Although it looks like
> Triumph never produced a car with the CV type.  Is this an aftermarket
> part?  Is one "better" than the other?
> The reason I ask is because I get a very distinct "klunk" sound when I
> apply power, either by releasing the clutch or sometimes just by hitting
> the accelerator after coasting in gear for a bit.  I also get a noise
> that is dependent on speed like a wobble.  I've looked at the whole
> backend and the diff and half-shafts look good.  The U-joints at all 3
> connections with the diff look good also.  By grabbing the driveshaft
> and quickly turning I can definitely here what I think is the klunk
> noise.  It comes from either the CV joint or the shaft itself.  Also, it
> feels like the shaft is not hollow.  When I quickly twist it and stop it
> abruptly it sounds like something inside is still moving around.  Does
> this make sense?  I think this is the source of the wobble noise.  Has
> anyone else experienced this?
> I was considering putting the car back up on the jack stands, starting
> it up, putting it in gear and watch and listen to what happens under
> there.  I don't think I'll actually crawl under while this is going on.
> The car is very solid up on 4 stands and it sounds like others have
> started a car up on stands, so I don't think its a big deal.
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Chris LeBlanc

I believe that what I've seen refered to as a Pot joint (the CV
joint) was the standard fitment on later 1500 spitfires (in the UK
at least). However I've never seen it available as a replacment part,
these are all strap joint or sliding spline as far as I know.
I've got a pot joint on my car and I'de be interested to know if its
the culprit for the noise on your car.
Good luck

Jonathan

'77 spitfire 1500