Re: Valve stem/guide seals (was Re: External oiler FIX!)

To: ArthurK101@aol.com
Subject: Re: Valve stem/guide seals (was Re: External oiler FIX!)
From: SUCHAK <suchak@mediaone.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 18:48:59 -0400
Cc: Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com, dterrick@pangea.ca, WINDOWSEET@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
ArthurK101@aol.com wrote:

> So does your local Chrysler/Plymouth dealer.  Ask for "umbrella seals" for
> valve stems (or guides -you know what I mean).
> Art

I spent some time in the auto parts biz when I was younger, we had them
at our store, most decently equipped auto parts stores should have them
in a variety of sizes.  You may want to bring an old valve with you to
fit the seal..  My foggy memory believes that they weren't indexed in
any way, you just looked for some that fit snugly over the stem.

(That chrysler dealer would just look at you funny...)

I'm wondering if you wouldn't do more harm than good by keeping trace
amounts of oil out of the guide...  Would'nt this lead to faster wear?

John
--
Come see us on the Web!
http://www.jacksonville.se.mediaone.net/~suchak/home.htm