Checking a TR3 trans

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Checking a TR3 trans
From: kinderlehrer@mindspring.com (Kinderlehrer's)
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 19:52:50 -0400 (EDT)
Hi all,

I've been out of town on business off and on for the past 3 weeks, and
didn't maintain my subscription for fear of over flowing my poor service
provider.  But I suspect no one has asked this very basic question while I
was incommunicado.

Where exactly is the level plug on the transmission that is the access for
checking and refilling fluid?  The most likely plug I've found is on the
left side (this much of a hint is in the Haines manual), but it appears to
be an adjusting screw with a spring between the head of the bolt and a lock
nut against the trans to keep it set.  The lock nut is only a 1/2" and the
set screw 7/16".  Doesn't seem to be the right size for adding fluid.  Can
anybody give me any hints?  I "topped" off the rear end with almost a pint
of oil, I'm afraid to drive the car again until I know the trans is full.

BTW, this trip brought me back to the UK.  Saw several Spits.  Met a cab
driver that claimed to have wrecked a Tiger in his youth, and another bloke
that had a Stag but couldn't keep it repaired, but no TR4's or 3's.  Saw
several of the new MG's. It's really a nice looking car, maybe one day they
will import it?? Maybe one day someone will revive the Triumph nameplate?

Thanks in advance,

BobK