Re: TR6 inner axle oil seals

To: Sandy Levine <slevine@toucan.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 inner axle oil seals
From: Glenn Franco <gfranco@provide.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 23:09:23 +0100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Sandy Levine wrote:

> OK, what magic is required to replace the oil seals on the inner axle
> shafts on the differential. The Bentley manual said just remove the nyloc,
> flange and go to it. A local NAPA machine shop tried a 25 ton press and
> heat with no luck. They were concerned about destroying the bearing - is
> that a casualty of the procedure?
>
> What next?

> Sandy Levine                              813-962-0100 (v)
> slevine@toucan.com                        813-962-2330 (f)
---------------------------
Sandy it sounds like you need to find an Auto Parts store with a Man's
Size Press!

Just did this job a couple of months ago. Take the hub, shaft and seal
off as a unit. Get a bearing splitter ( they have two long studs with
two c shaped sections). Place the splitter behing the largest part of
the flange. Sit it on at least a 50 ton press and it should pop off
without heat.

Make sure you put a trash can with some rags or newspaper in it because
it separates with enough force that it sounds like a cannon blast.

Just for your info, I had exactly the same problem. I brought it to work
and the guys in the shop didn't have a bearing splitter. We put it on a
75 ton press only shored up with some blocks and no go. We then heated
it up and beat the S??!! out of it and finaly after we toasted the
bearing it came off.

My suggestion is to get a splitter and a good 50 ton press and you
should be in luck.

Glenn Franco

71 & 74 TR6's