Re: TR6 Gas Cap Seal

To: TR66pack@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Gas Cap Seal
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 19:53:16 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
TR66pack@aol.com wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> You asked...
> One last question (as he says with his fingers crossed), if the seal we
> are discussing is bad, wouldn't the fumes be escaping from the filler cap
> top, and thus outside of the car skin?  How would this cause fumes to build
> up in
> the trunk and cockpit of the car?
>
> The only explanation I can give for that is that the fumes are heavier than
> the air and as they escape they settle and spread and seep into cracks and
> openings. If the top is down on your car you create a "well" for the fumes to
> settle into. Also, driving with the top down the air loos over the windshield
> and comes into the cockpit from behind, drawing the gas fumes in with it.
>
> Let me know what the outcome is if you replace the seal. Congratulations on
> the concrete floor!
>
> Kerry

Kerry:

Put a new gas cap seal on last week and it has definitly eliminated
the majority of the gas fumes. Just a note, I didn't have to punch a
hole in the seal to put the screw in. I did need to get a new screw,
the original was bent and some of the threads were bad. Took the
screw to my dependable hardware store and sure enough, found a match
that fit perfectly. Anyway, screwed the metal part of the cap seal
far enough in so there was plently of give for the spring and just
slid the seal over the metal plate.

Plan on replacing the hose to the tank since it is as old as the cap
seal
and may be the cause of the remaining faint smell of gas.

Thanks for the help. It's usually the simple things looking you right in
the face.....

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6