TR6 Gas Cap Seal

To: suhring@lancnews.infi.net
Subject: TR6 Gas Cap Seal
From: TR66pack@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 09:10:17 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Scott,

You wrote:
Thanks for the response. The cap I have does have the spring loaded
disc. The
tear drop shape (sorry, all I could visualize when I wrote the message)
differs
from what the catelogs "show" in TRF and VB, but does resemble what is
in the
Moss catelog, #12 (page 18), but the end with the hinge sticks out more.
I am certain it does not have the mentioned seal
and I do think I have one in my spare parts box (remember, TRF and Moss
sent
me seals which were incorrect...well, what I was looking for was the
seal
for the body hole, which I don't think is made anymore, at least not
shown
in any of the catelogs).

Anyway, does the seal which you referenced and I think I have just slide
up the
neck of the cap and fits on top of the hose?? Can't seem to get it clear
how this
creats a seal. Please clarify how yours is fit. The Moss catelog lists
the part
but does not show it in the drawing."

You are describing an original equipment gas cap which makes this easier. The
gasket does not go in the gas cap opening or filler neck, it goes on the cap
itself and seals against the very top of the filler neck when the gas cap
flap is closed.

Flip the gas cap open and look under the part you just opened. You should
find a disc-like assembly that moves around alittle bit and is spring loaded.
This disc should have a black gasket on it.

             [[]]
             [[]]
    [[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]]]]]]] ----Spring loaded "disc" mounted to the opening
part of the gas cap.

[[[[[[                   ]]]]]]] ----Black, rubber gasket attached to disc.
[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

If there is a gasket already on the disk, and there should be, inspect it. If
it is not soft and pliable it is probably not doing its job anymore and
should be replaced. Peel it off, tear it off, or cut it off. Just make sure
nothing falls into your gas tank.

The easiest way to install the new gasket is to remove the spring loaded
plunger from the gas cap. There is a small, I believe phillips, screw that
holds the disc to the gas cap. With the old gasket removed you'll see the
small screw that holds the disc to the top flap of the gas cap. Remove the
screw and you'll be holding the disc in your hand. Again, be careful not to
drop anything in your gas tank.

The gasket's visible inner diameter is smaller than the spring loaded disc
but there is a groove around its inner diameter that fits the disc just fine.
Install the new gasket by working it onto the disk in the same way you work a
bike tire onto the rim.

The gasket may or may not have a small hole in the center to provide access
to the screw that holds the plunger to the gas cap. If it does, put the screw
through the gasket and disk and re-attach the disk to the gas cap.

If the new gasket doesn't have a small hole for the screw to go through, no
problem, just push the screw right through the gasket into the hole in the
disk. Screw the disk to the gas cap and, if the head of the screw doesn't
disappear under the gasket by itself, give it some help. This small hole
won't be a problem. On my car, the original gasket had a small hole that was
obviously manufactured in. My new gasket did not.

The picture of the gasket is the best I can do with email. However, as I am a
technical illustrator by trade, I can do better if you need me to. Just let
me know what file format you want the illustration to be in (.tiff, .eps,
.jpg, .bmp, .gif, etc.) and I'll go to work.

Kerry