Spitfire Engine Cutting Out -Reply

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, schuyler@bellsouth.net
Subject: Spitfire Engine Cutting Out -Reply
From: Martin Wilson <martinw@fmc.gov>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 08:46:18 -0400
I too have a spitfire question..  A little background: 78 spit - 1500, weber
carb, monza exhaust. stock exhaust manifold with cat converter still on
(although guts have been removed).  my problem, well not really a
problem a little pesky annoyance.   When I approach a stop sign or light
etc. sometimes even just letting off the gas to shift,  I get a loud "POP"
like a .357 gunshot ( not good idea in my area, people will shoot back) .

Any ideas from the list??

marty wilson
78(still waving (and boy are my arms tired)) spit

>>> schuyler grace <schuyler@bellsouth.net> 09/13/97 05:51pm >>>
First of all, my apologies to all listers for this *WAY* off-topic
posting--it contains no non-LBC bashing, and everybody waves/flashes
their headlights as I pass.  It's just a question about a problem with a
*TRIUMPH* automobile, so I hope you will be tolerant of my
transgressions!

Malibu Barbie's Dream Car has been resting for the last few months
while
I got around to rebuilding her transmission.  Now that she has been up
and running for a couple of weeks, she has been keeping me busy
fixing
all the little things that stop working when she's not run around the
block (or across the state) on a regular basis.  Today's maintenance
chores were to get a new battery and rebuild the alternator, and runs to
the parts store exposed another new symptom--the engine dies on
occasion
after a quick run up through the gears.  It feels like the coil is
cutting out, and sometimes, the engine will start right back up and run
fine.  Most of the time, though, it starts and will rev well, but as
soon as I start putting a load on the engine, it sputters and starts to
die.  Fortunately, she cooperated well enough to limp several miles
home, sometimes, running very well, sometimes, cutting out.

My best guesses as I head out to poke around under her hood are:
-the coil (2-year old Lucas stock replacement) is getting hot and
shutting down
-there's a loose or corroded electrical connection under the hood
-the new condenser has developed some intermittent problem
-there's some gunk or crud running around in the fuel system
-she's vapor locking.

I really don't think it's fuel related, but if any of you have two or
three cents worth to contribute, it will be most appreciated when I come
back in from the heat in a state of frustration.  Thanks!

Oh, yea...just to make sure I don't get kicked off of the list for this
mostly inappropriate posting...Miatas (or insert your least favorite
non-LBC here) baaaaaaaddddddd!  LBCs gooooooooddddd!

-Schuyler