Silicon Brake Fluid Update

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Silicon Brake Fluid Update
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwartz@encad.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 07:46:09 -0700
 Almost finished the conversion to Silicon Brake Fluid.  Probably a good
thing I decided to do this as the left rear shoes had grease all over them
as well as the a little at the fronts from the initial packing/flinging
seven years ago.  May explain why the car has always had what I consider to
be a rather heavy pedal.  cleaned everything up installed new rear
cylinders, rebuilt master, replaced the seals in the fronts, used brake
cleaner in the lines and blew them clean with compressed air,  although I
had to tighten the nut securing lines (steel not rubber) going to the rear
cylinders ALL the way down just to get them to stop leaking.   Hummmm,
wondering if these are not really the correct ones?  I will have to concede
to receiving the bonehead award of the week!  Those front brake pistons
really fly out of there when you use compressed air and I have the big
black mark in the middle of my fingernail (thought it was out of the way
man, does that hurt) to prove it!  Did a preliminary bleeding and the pedal
is just a tad spongy.  The engineer in me refuses to believe that a fluid
can be compressible so I will bleed the system again tonight.  It was late
and I was tired.  I seem to recall the same symptoms when I did the
original rebuild with Girling fluid so I will see what happens tonight
after it has sat awhile, and any air has had a chance to settle out.  Sure
will be nice to not have to worry about the fluid eating the paint from now
on.

Barry Schwartz in San Diego, CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6/5sp Spitfire ( daily driver )
70 GT6+ ( when I don't drive the Spitfire )
70 (sorta) Spitfire ( project )
73  Ford Courier ( parts hauler )